Background/IRC Summary: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 35 countries and 27 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC Abilene office was opened in November 2003 as a sub-office of the IRC Dallas office. The office resettles an average of 120 - 200 clients per year.
Job Overview/Summary: The Women’s Empowerment Specialist works to implement the Women’s Empowerment Program which seeks to empower women to reach short-term and long-term goals through one-on-one counseling and training, connecting women to existing services and removing barriers.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Provide intake services and enroll clients into life skills training.
- Design and teach in-house life skills training curriculum, including digital literacy.
- Include refugee women's feedback in vocational training designs and choices.
- Recruit and enroll refugee women into the WEP program.
- Assess women’s needs, set short-term and long-term goals, and create a service plan in collaboration with enrolled women.
- Prepare trainings and meet with women weekly in their home to provide training.
- Work with women towards removing barriers to attendance.
- Identify trends that prohibit women from fully engaging in services and provide quarterly feedback to existing programs.
- Plans and executes monthly civic events for women and their families.
- Ensure accurate data entry into the IRC internal ETO database and the donor database, Client Track.
- Ensure case files and reports are maintained in accordance with grant requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree strongly preferred, but not required.
- Prior related experience required. Experience teaching adults is highly desirable; experience working with refugee and/or immigrant communities is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, with fluency in written and spoken English. Bilingual ability in one of the predominant languages of the local client base is desired.
- Proven success in achieving goals and working effectively with all levels of staff in a multicultural environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Valid driver’s license, access to a reliable vehicle with current insurance, and the ability to travel regularly throughout the service delivery area.
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be needed.
- A combination of standard office environment and ‘field’ time within the service delivery area to perform the above-outlined responsibilities.
- May require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
Posted pay ranges apply to US-based candidates. Ranges are based on various factors including the labor market, job type, internal equity, and budget. Exact offers are calibrated by work location, individual candidate experience and skills relative to the defined job requirements.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Professional Standards: The IRC and IRC staff must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Global Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Equality and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti-Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
US Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days (depending on role and tenure), medical insurance starting at $145 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare, childcare, and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with up to 4.5% immediately vested matching contribution, plus a 3-7% base IRC contribution (3 year vesting), disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.
Interested candidates are invited to apply by following the link below: